Visitor and Gardening Update
On April 16, 2020, to assist in the prevention of the spread of COVID-19, Northampton Housing Authority announced no visitors would be allowed to enter any Housing Authority property. This was done due to drastic increases in positive tests for COVID-19 across the state.
Following CDC, public health department, and Governor Baker’s reopening guidance, visitors are now permitted as of June 25, 2020. However, we encourage residents to arrange with their guest(s) to visit outside of the building versus in their apartments when possible, since COVID-19 is still around, it is critical that safety precautions are taken by all residents and their guest(s).
Visitors and Residents Should:
- Wear a face masks or covering at all times when in common areas. In accordance with the Northampton Health Department Order, all persons shall wear a mask or face covering at all times where one cannot reasonably expect to maintain at least six feet of distance from all other persons at all times. Face coverings worn in accordance with this Order shall be any cloth that securely covers the customer’s nose and mouth, including but not limited to scarves, bandanas, turtlenecks or similar coverings.
- Maintain at least six feet apart at all times and at buildings with an elevator, only one household should occupy the elevator at a time.
- Limit their movement within the community to the resident’s apartment (reduce walking the halls, congregating in the lobbies and laundry facilities).
- Report to the office any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or acute respiratory illness within 14 days after visiting by calling our main office at 413-584-4030 and selecting the option of the property you were visiting or texting us at that number.
- Out-of-state visitor are encouraged to self-quarantine for 14 days following guidance by Governor Baker.
Northampton Housing Encourages:
- Visitors limit physical contact by practicing social distancing recommendations such as no hand-shaking or hugging, and remaining at least six feet apart.
- Residents/Gardeners to follow guidelines issued for safe gardening outdoors and continue where possible gardening in doors this season if possible.
Additional Garden Updates:
Effective Monday, June 29, 2020, gardening can resume!
We realize that this is planting season is well underway, and getting outside in nature is important during this crisis, however it’s important that everyone remember social contact increases the risk of spreading the virus. The housing authority is not able to monitor the gardens and therefore gardeners are asked to acknowledge the rules and abide by them.
That being said, we encourage you to exercise an abundance of caution during this time, if you choose to garden. We are asking that gardeners wear masks, keep a 6-foot distance from others, refrain from sharing tools, and have no more than two people present at one time in the gardening area.
Additionally, we ask gardeners to:
- Communicate to all potential audiences that they should not visit the garden if they feel ill
- Do not allow anyone with signs of illness on the site.
- Postpone community events, as well as carry-ins, potlucks or self-serve food
- Leave any garden gates open during hours of operation to avoid frequent contact
- Stagger times for arrival/create an official schedule if possible
- Enforce social distancing guidelines of remaining at least 6 feet apart at all times
- Wear a mask or face covering.
- Create and implement procedures to sanitize tools before and after garden work.
Please contact your property manager or resident services coordinator with any questions.