Transferring Your Rent Subsidy

“Portability” in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program refers to the process through which your family can transfer or “port” your rental subsidy when you move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first gave you the voucher when you were selected or the program (the initial PHA).

New families have to live in the jurisdiction of the initial PHA for a year before they can port.  But, the initial PHA may allow new families to port during the one-year period.

Download the document below to learn more about how portability works and how to get started.