The Northampton Housing Authority is seeking a full-time Porter. This is an entry level position. This position is responsible for assisting other maintenance service employees in the preparation of work to be performed including renovation, alteration and maintenance. Lifting is required. Preference will be given to candidate with five (2) years relevant experience in apartment maintenance field. Bilingual in English and dominant language of minority population in community (Spanish) is considered to be an asset in a prospective employee.
The Northampton Housing Authority (NHA) is a quasi-public agency maintaining public housing at the McDonald House, Forsander, Cahill Apartments, Tobin Manor, Salvo House, and Hampshire and Florence Heights. The NHA also administers a Housing Choice Voucher program (Section 8) and works with the Veterans Administration to administer VASH vouchers.
Applicant must possess a driver's license and high school diploma or GED.
This is an entry-level position, as in apprenticeship. Maintains efficient operation and upkeep of the property buildings and grounds in a supportive role. Assists other maintenance employees in unskilled tasks. Assists various trade journeypersons in the preparation of work to be performed; including renovation, alteration, and the maintenance of buildings.
SCOPE OF DUTIES:
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position. It should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. Northampton Housing Authority emphasizes a team approach and fully expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling Northampton Housing Authority objectives. Also, since it is Northampton Housing Authority’s philosophy to promote from within whenever possible, we recommend an ongoing effort to familiarize yourself with the duties and responsibilities of those positions directly above and around your own. This position description does not constitute an employment contract between Northampton Housing Authority and any site employee.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following but are not limited to the job specifications contained herein. Additional duties or job functions that can be performed safely may be required as deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
- To perform the duties assigned by upper management.
- To follow the schedule prepared by the upper management.
- Responsible for the daily repair and upkeep of the property.
- Responsible for the preparation of vacant units for occupancy.
- Responsible for cleaning work area, tools and equipment.
- Perform turnover of apartments including cleaning, painting, carpet shampooing and other repairs as directed by upper management.
- Perform all maintenance and repair operations at the site including responding to service requests within 24 hours and refurbishing vacant units within 10 working days. Maintenance and repair operations include but are not limited to, areas of plumbing, minor electrical and carpentry work.
- Adhere to regular attendance on the job.
- Responsible for being available for emergency after-hour call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. When on-call, insure responses to calls are made in a timely manner.
- Have thorough knowledge of power, water and any gas turnoffs, cleanout traps, fire extinguishers and fire hydrants.
- Responsible for maintaining all buildings, common areas and grounds in a safe and clean manner.
- Responsible for maintaining the required property uniform and insuring a professional appearance and attitude at all times. To wear the prescribed uniform at all times during working hours. Wear personal protective equipment as required by policy, including lumbar belt, wrap around safety goggles, and cut/slash proof gloves.
- Responsible for courteous, efficient response at all times.
- To be able to climb ladders to a height in excess of 10 feet.
- To lift and carry weight up to 45 pounds without assistance.
- Responsible for the care, maintenance and inventory of all supplies, personal tools, and equipment owned by the property and/or the Northampton Housing Authority.
- To be able to operate machinery, tools, and equipment necessary to perform the Maintenance Technician’s duties. To perform routine maintenance on all power tools and equipment.
- Perform special assignments as needed or requested by the Northampton Housing Authority. This may include travel to another apartment community under the control of Northampton Housing Authority in order to assist in maintenance related work.
- Responsible for reporting unusual or extraordinary circumstances regarding the property or residents.
- Adhere to and operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standards and Northampton Housing Authority safety policies at all times.
- To report actual and potential problems including potential liability and work place hazards to the Property Manager/Service Manager promptly.
- Responsible for thorough knowledge of management Northampton Housing Authority policies and property community policies.
- Responsible for seeking educational opportunities and self-improvement for personal growth and development.
- Respond to training provided by the Northampton Housing Authority to improve qualifications to perform repairs of increasing complexity on buildings, systems, and equipment contained in the property.
- To participate in regular monthly safety meetings.
- Perform such other work related duties as may be assigned by the Northampton Housing Authority.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION, LICENSE AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combinations of education and experience. Must have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; climb or balance; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 45 pounds and move more than 100 pounds as needed. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.